Week 3: Communication - Business & Consumer

I think everyone has experienced some sort of difficulty communicating with a business at some point. Most often I see this sort of problem happen with larger businesses that experience a large customer pour in. I have had trouble before, contacting stores and customer service in general, because of high traffic times and crazy policy that often seem to work against the customer

I would think that having social media would make it easier to get ones' problems noticed and or solved. Mainly because the issue would no longer be private between the individual and business and is now visible for all to judge. This can result in the business gaining either a positive or a negative reputation depending on their timely response and manner of correcting the issue. This can also be quite negative for the business. There are many people that feel that the customer is always right and despite being incorrect and completely out of line will continue pestering a business until they get what they want. If others see that this works, they might attempt to do the same.

I personally have never contacted a business through social media. I always use the customer support page or number. Mostly because there can some information that I just don't want to be made public or put up for display. Contacting directly seems more personal and hopefully receives a speedier response.

If it were my business on social media, I would try to be as professional as possible. Responding in a timely manner and a way that respects the others opinion by not disregarding their concerns would be my attempts at a response.

My experiences have mostly been positive. I have yet to encounter any sort of disrespect from customer service and honestly felt like I was being helped. I know this is not always the case but hopefully it does become so. 

Comments

  1. I'm used to prefer to calling customer service number and talk to a person to express any concerns. Seems like this kind of communication does not work too often because social media has sensationalized the way we communicate. Good point there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that putting issues on social media would be no longer private and people judge the company based on comments. That could make or break a companies reputation.
    I personally would rather get my point across by talking with a live person than putting my issue for all to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally see where you are coming from. I am also the type of person that doesn't reach out to companies, and my 1 experience has been positive as well! I'm happy to see that not everyone has something bad to say, because nowadays people will totally trash businesses on social media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment